Instructional Designer Position Open
Higher Education Instructional Design Consultant for Global Connected Learning Project
June 15, 2020
The Carey Institute for Global Good is dedicated to making a better world by contributing to a strong, educated and just society. We advance the work of change makers who seek solutions to local and global challenges, addressing the needs of practitioners.
The mission of the Carey Institute Center for Learning in Practice is to improve professional learning and knowledge sharing in and across civil society organizations through Sustainable Learning programming, research, and services.
POSITION OVERVIEW: Instructional Designer, Higher Education
You will be working with institutions around the world, with faculty who have a range of teaching
experience, to help build courses from the ground up or help translate their off-line courses into
effective, context-specific online and blended offerings. You will provide or develop tools and guides
that enable faculty to work effectively online and to engage learners at any level of learning.
POSITION: The Higher Education Instructional Design Consultant is currently a grant-funded, hourly
position, that will work with the Center for Learning in Practice (CLiP) team to design and deliver
practice-based learning and technology-enhanced blended learning experiences for CLiP, its clients,
The Instructional Designer will manage the design and development of a portfolio of face-to-face (if
possible), online, and blended courses across a variety of higher education disciplines and audiences.
Under the supervision of the Center Director, the Instructional Designer will collaborate closely with
and coach clients and partners to clearly articulate the goals, assessments, activity paths, learning
objects and content for each new course and learning activity. The Instructional Designer will use the
CLiP Sustainable Learning Framework practices and supporting educational technologies needed to
effectively execute the course mission.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Course design support, including planning, execution, monitoring, and assessment
Provide support for using selected platforms, tools and technologies, including course design and
implementation of course elements
Understanding and managing the design needs, scope, and timeline for each client/project
Collaborating with platform and webinar support specialists to troubleshoot technical problems
and brainstorm creative solutions
Other duties as assigned
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Master’s degree or equivalent. Specifically, in instructional design, education technology, adult
education, learning science, or other related fields.
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant professional experience
- Must have significant experience in translating offline content into online courses
- Knowledge of instructional design theories and models, online pedagogy, assessment, and
- Demonstrated experience developing team-based, collaborative and/or project-based courses
- Demonstrated experience developing face-to-face, online and/or blended programming that
creatively leverages new technologies
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
- Ability to define and manage their own work processes towards specified team objectives
- Demonstrated expertise in instructional design software, video editing software, and other
- Demonstrated verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to effectively interact with a diverse group of faculty and staff
- Ability to perform remotely and engage with an international team through digital
- Willingness to travel 5% of the time (when possible)
- Detailed knowledge and experience with educational technology systems
- Experience with providing training
- Customer service skills
- Strong communication skills
- Strong commitment to teamwork
- Troubleshooting/triage skills
- Ability to work under pressure
- Experience working with adult learners across cultural, linguistic, or country contexts
- Experience teaching face-to-face, online and/or hybrid courses in higher education
- Demonstrated research interest in a field(s) related to education, curriculum, and instruction,
and/or educational technology
- Conversational and Written Arabic or another second language
- Experience working in cross-cultural settings
- A sense of humor
REPORTS TO: Director of the Center for Learning in Practice
SALARY: To be negotiated
In keeping with our mission and values, the Carey Institute is committed to equal employment and
volunteer opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation,
pregnancy, national origin, age, disability or genetic information, existing military obligations or veteran
This policy applies to all areas of employment, contractor, and volunteer participation, including
recruitment, hiring, training and development, promotion, transfer, termination, layoff, compensation,
benefits, social and recreational programs, all other conditions and privileges of employment in
accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
We are committed to modeling diversity and inclusion, and to maintaining an inclusive environment with
equitable treatment for all.
If you feel you would be a great fit for the Carey Institute and the Center for Learning in Practice, please email your resume, letter of interest, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org.
63 Huyck Road, Rensselaerville, New York 12147
Phone: 518.797.5100 | Fax: 518.797.3692 | www.careyinstitute.org